Why should children do yoga? I have been thinking about this question since I had kids. And now since we have our little girl who has been diagnosed with autism, I am now thinking of the benefits of yoga for children with autism.
Below I have listed ways that children can benefit from yoga and I have also listed how children with autism can benefit from doing yoga.
YOGA BENEFITS FOR CHILDREN:
* Yoga helps teach children how to manage stress at an early age.
* It can increase their self-confidence and self-image.
* Helps develops coordination and strengthens the body-mind connection.
* Helps develop healthy body awareness.
* Helps build concentration, focus, and teach them how to manage their wiggles.
YOGA BENEFITS FOR CHILDREN WITH AUTISM:
* Yoga can help develop motor skills and communication when there may be a bit of a delay.
* Yoga develops coping mechanisms and habits that help releave anxiety or frustration.
* Yoga can improve social skills through building self-confidence and self-awareness.
* Helps teach how to control the senses even when one has an overly sensitive nervous system.
* Creates an environment that is very organized, consistent, and controlled, which provides the perfect environment for children who need routine, comfort and a sense of trust.
I would like to take this one step further and say that when you do yoga with your child the benefits are endless. Not only does it have all of the affects listed above, but it also benefits you and your child's relationship. They will bond with you and you with them. They will learn to trust and confide in you as you move through poses together and they will learn to be more comfortable with you as they learn to become more comfortable with their own bodies. The benefits of yoga are endless and no matter your age, it is a great thing to start. And it is never too early to begin!
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS, PLEASE CONTACT ME.