Our trip to Hawaii was a blast! I have had a lot of you ask on IG about the things that we did. I posted a lot on my story while we were there, but I wanted to follow up with a blog post on our favorite activities. We were there for 10 days and so we were able to fit a lot in. I grew up on Kauai when I was young so we are very familiar with the island. Because of this we have been able to sift through a lot of the activities and pick out our very favorites. Below is our list of things we chose to do while we were there with links included.
Kauai is the oldest Hawaiian island, so there are more sandy beaches compared to the other islands. Our must see beaches are: Lumahai, Kauapea (Secrets) Beach, Hanalei Bay, and Poipu Beach.
There are so many hikes that we wanted to do while we were there, but there was a storm that came through so we were unable to do most of them. But on a sunny day, we were able to fit in our favorite which is the Kalalau Trail up to the Hanakapiai Waterfall. It was beautiful and the waterfall was the largest I had ever seen it! The other hikes we wanted to do and will plan on our next trip are: Awa'awa'puhi Trail, Honopu Ridge Trail, and the Kalepa Ridge Trail.
This trip we were lucky to really enjoy the island like we hadn't before. We took a boat trip with Captain Andy's crew and sailed out onto the ocean for some dolphin and whale watching, BBQ lunch, and snorkeling. We also took an ATV trip through the old plantation lands with Kauai ATV as well as a bike trip with bikes from Hele Bike Rentals in Kapaa. Kapaa has a beautiful bike trail along the coast that is breathtaking!
Our vacation without kids to Kauai, Hawaii was a blast! We had so much fun and it was so nice to catch up on sleep and spend quality time together. But now, it’s good to be home and finally back into our routines. I have come back home feeling rejuvenated and ready for some positive changes. Being away from the kids and missing them more than ever has helped me reflect upon being a parent and has made me want to set some simple goals for myself this month.
• Goal #1 is to spend more time with them on an individual level. It doesn’t happen very often that I get one child without the other, so I am going to seek out these opportunities and soak them up in the moment.
• Goal #2 is to slow down, then get down on their level and play with them more often, without any distractions. I want to unplug from all electronics and just sit and give them all of my attention.
• Goal #3 is to do more yoga with the kids. I do a lot with them already, but I want to do it more! I used to set a time aside with the kids to do yoga and I am going to get back on it. This will help them to know when it is coming and know what to expect.
• Goal #4 is to simplify. I want to do more yoga in a simple way. Sometimes I get hooked on the idea that it has to be this grand routine with the kids, but in reality, just a pose here and a pose there is enough!
• Goal #5 is to listen more. Even though my kids are still little and our verbal communication is very limited right now, there are still times where they are trying to communicate to me and I don't understand, so we all end up frustrated. I want to try and avoid this frustration and find ways to listen before the miscommunication happens.